UTILISATION OF SCIENTIFIC EXPERTISE OF RETIRED SCIENTISTS (USERS)
A large number of eminent scientists in the country remain active and deeply motivated to participate in S&T development activities even after their retirement. In order to utilize their expertise and potential, a specific scheme named `Utilisation of the Scientific Expertise of Retired Scientists (USERS) was introduced by the Department of Science and Technology during the Seventh Five Year Plan.
The main activity supported under the programme is preparation of books / monographs / state-of the art reports.
1. After superannuation, Scientists up to the age of 65 years are eligible provided that they do not have any other fellowship/ programme.
2. The proposal should clearly focus on the scope of the book/monograph/review or state-of-the art report.
3. The Scientist should ensure publication of the work by either approaching a scientific society or publisher who is willing to publish the manuscript before submitting the proposal to DST. (Kindly enclose copy of agreement/letter of concurrence). DST will not support cost of publication.
4. The project duration would normally be for two years.
5. The scientist will be eligible for an honorarium (to be fixed as per rules) provided he/she is not getting any honorarium from other sources.
6. Project should normally be completed within the sanctioned period. However, in exceptional cases extensions for short periods will be considered.
7. The following documents/papers are required to be submitted with the proposal.
Items No of copies
a) Certificate from Head of the Institution One
(On letter head)
b) Certificate from investigator One
c) The detailed proposal as per format Five
d) Copy of agreement/concurrence from One
Publishers/ society agreeing to publish
e) List of five experts in the field with
8. Copies of the proposal and other required documents must be sent in one lot to:
Department of Science & Technology
The envelope containing proposal may be superscribed
UTILISATION OF THE SCIENTIFIC EXPERTISE OF RETIRED SCIENTISTS
9 Please contact DST if the acknowledgement letter mentioning the registration number of the project is not received within one month from the date of communication of the proposal.
10. Please feel free to enquire about the status of the proposal after six months from the date of its submission.
11. Please make sure to quote our registration number and title of the proposal in all future Communications.
12. The financial aid received from the Department of Science & Technology should duly acknowledge on the front page of the publication.
13. Three copies of the published book should be submitted to DST before settlement of final accounts.
CERTIFICATE FROM THE PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR
(i) I/We will abide by the terms and conditions of grants.
(ii) I/We have not submitted this proposal elsewhere for financial support.
(iii) I/We have explored and ensured that the basic facilities will actually be available as and when required for the work. I/We shall not require financial support for these items.
(iv) .(Name of publisher & address) have agreed to publish this work when it is ready (copy enclosed)
(v) I/We will submit 3 copies of the published book / monograph /state of art report on free of cost to DST before settlement of final accounts.
Name and signature of Principal Investigator
CERTIFICATE FROM THE HEAD OF THE INSTITUTION
1. Certified that the University/Institute welcomes participation of Dr/Shri/Smt/Kum as the principal investigator for the project (Title) ...
2. Certified that basis facilities like library, office equipment and Administrative support as per terms and conditions of the grant will be extended to him/her throughout the duration of the project.
Signature of the Head of University
Institution with seal
PROPOSAL FOR GRANT OF FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR WRITING OF BOOKS/MONOGRAPHS/STATE-OF-ART REPORTS ETC UNDER THE SCHEME UTILISATION OF SCIENTIFIC EXPERTISE OF RETIRED SCIENTISTS.
For office use only
Date of receipt
Registration No .
2. Broad Subject
3. Name and address of Principal Investigator
a. Institute Address:
b. Residence Address:
c. Ph No (O):
4. University/institute/professional Body where the work is proposed to be undertaken and through which financial assistance for the work is to be channelised.
5. Designation of the official to receive the financial grant.
6. Time required for completing the work.
7. Brief statement of:
i) Definition of the problem.
ii) Objectives of the Book/Monograph/State of the art Report
iii) An outline of the proposed publication with brief details topics to be discussed.
8. Review of status of research and development on the subject:
i) International Status
ii) National status
iii) Importance of the proposed work in the national context
iv) Review of the expertise available with the scientist on the subject proposed to be undertaken.
9. Work Plan
ii) Organisation of work elements
iii) Time Schedule of activities.
iv) Current status regarding proposed monograph (please specify whether material/literature collected and compiled partially collected, manuscript ready and requires some addition/ alteration, manuscript ready for publication, arrangements made with the publishers such as Professional Body/ Society/National Book Trust etc.
v) Names and addresses of 5 scientists in the proposed area
10. Budget Estimates (Detailed justification for various requirements
a) Salaries/Wages Year 1 Year 2 Total
i) Honorarium to Principal investigator
ii) Technical / Secretarial assistance (part time)
b) Traveling Expenses
c) Contingencies and supplies
d) Overhead expenses as per the DST norms
(i) Name .
(ii) Age Date of birth ..
(iii) University/Institute, Year and position from which retired.
(iv) Engagement after retirement (if any), details thereof (including other projects, honorary position (s) held.
(v) Amount of pension received per month.
(vi) Research publication etc, including popular S&T publications/books etc.
12. Details of other projects/grants from other agencies including the department of Science & Technology. Please give title, reference number, duration, date of scheduled completion and total cost of the project.
13. Name of the
Union Bank of
14. Any other relevant information: