B A C K
APPLICATION FOR TRAVEL SUPPORT
FOR ATTENDING INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE/SEMINAR/SYMPOSIUM/WORKSHOP ETC.
1. ABOUT THE SCHEME
The Department has a scheme under which, financial assistance towards travel cost, is considered for participation in International conference/ seminar/ symposium/ workshop, which are not sponsored by International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU)- However, Young scientists up to the age of 35 years are also eligible to seek support even for ICSU Conferences, training courses and short-term schools. The scheme does not provide assistance towards maintenance, registration fee, airport tax, taxi fare and other cost. Only 50% of International air fare will be given by the Department.
(a) Indian Scientists working in Educational/ Acdemic Institutions and Research Laboratories are eligible for travel support to participate in conferences etc. on selective basis.
(b) The application has an accepted paper for presentation or an invitation to chair a session or as a Keunote speaker. Young Scientists (below 35 years of age) are eligible to apply for attending training programmes/ Short term courses/ schools.
(c) The applicant has NOT availed of financial assistance from DST in the last three years.
(d) The conference/ training course is of an International character. (Applications to attend annual meetings of professional societies will not be considered).
(e) THe applications should be forwarded through proper channel and must reach DST 8 weeks prior to the date of the conference.
(f) CANVASSING WILL DISQUALIFY THE APPLICANT FOR THE TRAVEL GRANT.
Note: The air passages are to be booked directly on a National Carrier i.e. Air India/ Indian Airlines, as the case may be, EVEN TO PLACES WHERE AIR INDIA/ INDIAN AIRLINES FLIGHTS DO NOT OPERATE, the passage is to be booked THROUGH AIR INDIA/ INDIAN AIRLINES.
The following documents are to be attached with the application.
(a) One copy of the completed Application form and Bio-data.
(b) A copy of letter from other national or international agency committing to bear partial cost of TRAVEL (The Document must be Flagged)
(c) Invitation from organisers
(d) Detailed announcement of the conference (Please attach Phtocopy of the announcement).
(e) Letter of acceptance of paper for presentation and/ or invitation from organisers to chair the session/ participate as a keynote speaker.
(f) Abstract of the paper to be presented by the applicant at the conference.
(g) A certificate from Air-India indicating th cost of return air fair by economy/ excursion class by shortest route.
4. The Scientists may please ensure that all the essential documents mentioned in para 3 above are properly attached and tagged with the application, INCOMPLETE APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
5. The Department, in the event of selection will initially issue a commitment letter agreeing to the support. The committed amount will be reimbursed to the scientist only on his return to India after participation in the conference and on submitting a detailed report, a copy of air ticket etc. within two months from the date of the conference.
6. The decision on the application is expected to be communicated about four weeks before the commencement of the conference. No interim corrspondence will be possible.
7. The application complete in all respects together with enclosures as indicated at para 3 above, must reach the Department of Science & Technology at least Eight Weeks prior to the commencement of the conference duly forwarded by the Head of the Institution. If the application is not received in time, the request will not be considered.
8. Application may be addressed to :
Attn. (PFA Section)
Department of Science & Technology,
New Mehrauli Road,
9. Envelope may be superscribed : APPLICATION FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL SUPPORT